Monday, October 6, 2008

Kona 2008 - A view from the industry side

Here starts the unofficial Vo2Multisport/TYR Ironman Hawaii 2008 blog. I will try and post somewhat regularly work and play permitting! This will be my first time on the island as a spectator and I must confess I am really looking forward to it. On the two occasions I have raced here (2004 and 2005) I can honestly say the race itself has not been terribly enjoyable (am I allowed to say that?) but the build up and the post race euphoria were incredible. I love the Big Island and the energy it exudes is phenomenal, add to that the fact my wife and I cemented our relationship here and it makes it a really special place.

Firstly let me clear up a few things if I may (hopefully I won’t anger Madam Pele in the process). This is not the 'hardest course’ on the Ironman Calendar. The lava fields are not expansive. The natural energy lab is no more difficult than any other part of the run course. The swim is the most brutal one I have ever experienced in my 19 years of racing. Alii Drive is the most hallowed ground in this sport and the most awesome finish ever in any sport.

Photos and more to come as the week progresses, watch this space!

No comments: